Thursday, June 23, 2011

Dear Angela, the truth is but only an interpretation


Your current issue, actually crisis, disturbed me in such a way that I've spent today hours studying the topic ‘TRUTH’.

Yes, Angela, I fell to pieces while I was reading your mail and I almost died of sorrow while I read Marten’s. It was like witnessing both of you dying in a horrible freak accident. The words of Kahlil Gibran came to mind: “When you are sorrowful, look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.”

So I took some Valium (Bible) and a stiff drink (prayer), and woke up this morning with a hangover which urged me to drink too much coffee (philosophical and psychological articles).

So let’s focus on TRUTH. According to the philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche: “All things are subject to interpretation. Whatever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth.” He also said: “All credibility, all good conscience, all evidence of truth come only from the senses.”

Let’s make sure we understand the meaning of the word interpretation.

  • According to WordWeb interpretation is a mental representation of the meaning or significance of something.  
  • According to the writer and public speaker Anthony Roberts, “You see, it’s never the environment, it’s never the events of our lives, but the meaning we attach to the events, (thus) how we interpret them, that shapes who we are today and who we’ll become tomorrow.”  
  • Margaret J Wheatley stressed: “Everyone in a complex system has a slightly different interpretation. The more interpretations we gather, the easier it becomes to gain a sense of the whole.”  
  • Edward Sapir once said: “We see and hear and otherwise experience very largely as we do because the language habits of our community predispose certain choices of interpretation.”
So, let suffice it to say what people declare as ‘the truth’, is but only their personal interpretation of an issue. They see their interpretation as a motivation and even instruction from God to improve OR destroy themselves and others.
So what can I say about you and Martin, confronting each other with truths (in other words, with your personal interpretations)?

The only truth I can see is your unhappiness, and this is my interpretation of you and the situation you are in.




Love you,
Mom.



Meet me at HubPages

2 comments:

  1. Thank you MartieC for guiding me here. I feel this is a an intimate gesture. Thank you. Maybe my mission is over. I responded to Sannel's poem with an email. I haven't really heard from her other than signs. I'm weary. I fought and the battle is not over, yet not sure who will carry it forward.

    Someone at hubpages has pointed me in the direction I needed to know. I shared with Sannel it being within the TOS and the learning center and compromise.

    Yet, alas, that last hub took so much of me to write. Do you think anyone understood that hub is a love letter. Funny, letters of love are called books in the Bible.

    I remember the cry made before battle in the movie Gladiator, by Maximus;

    "If you find yourself alone, riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled. For you are in Elysium and you are already dead!"

    I really don't want to got back into the cave. So, I will let the sun shine on my face while working in the garden, where my parents sit to watch the hummingbirds and butterflies.

    Yet, first a nap, then a drier. My clothes need to be laundered . . . and I need to rest.

    a friend and thank you for your words of wisdom

    tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, Tim, for taking so long to respond. You know the reason. Thank you for reading this and for leaving me a comment.

    Listen to your GUT feeling, my friend. Not to your heart or your mind. (The mind always tries to find a way to please the heart.)

    Please don't go back into your cave. You are doing fine in the sun, working in your 'garden(s)'.....

    Take care!

    ReplyDelete